June 21, 2013
Engage, Collaborate, Innovate
Engage, Collaborate, Innovate, released today, demonstrates the commitment of IRU members to successful, enduring partnerships with industry.
“Our Universities have a long track record in successful industry engagement to drive Australian innovation, productivity and economic growth.” said Professor Barney Glover, Chair of IRU and Vice- Chancellor, Charles Darwin University.
“Engage, Collaborate, Innovate provides almost 40 examples of our work with industry, across many research disciplines, with links to partners across small to medium enterprises, larger firms, health and social service providers, businesses in regional and rural Australia and with those based internationally.
“We are particularly proud of our leading role in regional and rural Australia. So much of Australia’s economic activity is located outside the major cities, and it is vital that businesses here have access to research expertise to support innovative practice.
“We recognise that increasing the number of businesses engaging with universities is a challenge. We will work with industry and government to realise this goal.
“Engage, Collaborate, Innovate offers sensible suggestions to enhance innovation, including:
- the broadening of innovation voucher schemes to encourage business to invest in universities;
- providing seed funding to encourage investment;
- valuing the contribution of industry focussed researchers based in universities and the importance of industry engagement in assessing research performance;
- providing opportunities for researchers and research students to work in industry;
- creating opportunities for students in regional and rural Australia to undertake work experience in the city, and vice versa; and
- supporting students to undertake international work experience programs and placements, particularly in Asia.