The IRU regrets to inform our Pakistani partners that our Country Director, Sabeeh Qayyum, passed away unexpectedly in March 2023.
Sabeeh is a great loss to the IRU and we remember her in our hearts.
Our Marketing and Media Advisor Bethany Keats, who worked closely with Sabeeh, has reflected on their relationship in an article published by the ABC.
We value our partnerships in Pakistan and we ask that you are patient with us as we navigate this transition period. Please contact us if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
IRU Pakistan activities in 2022
- IRU Members participated in a series of virtual sessions with high school students from Nixor College and Cedar College in Karachi.
- The IRU was the exclusive sponsor of The City School Education Fair 2022 at their Ravi Campus, Lahore. In-Country reps from 3 member universities were present at the fair, as well as Ms. Qayyum, to meet students and parents, and to guide them regarding higher education opportunities in Australia.
The IRU was one of the proud sponsors of National Business Education Accreditation Council – HEC’s 9th Deans and Directors Conference 2022. Over 400 participants from all over Pakistan attended the event, comprising of Academics such as Deans, Directors, Faculty, and Industry leaders. The event provided a brilliant networking, collaboration and knowledge sharing platform.
The IRU was the exclusive sponsor for Baharia University business school’s international conference Emerging Challenges for Organizations in Developing Economies and Cultural Gala Dinner.
- The IRU organised a virtual information session with counsellors from The City School where members shared information about the Australian Universities they represent. They also answered frequently asked questions about students’ study abroad journeys, to assist the counsellors in helping students make informed decisions regarding subject and career choices.
- The IRU hosted a networking event for Beaconhouse College Programme (BCP) school counsellors where Ms Qayyum interacted with with the BCP North Region team and briefed them about the IRU’s achievements and initiatives in Pakistan, as well as discussing ways to developing collaboration opportunities.
- The IRU was the proud platinum sponsor for BTCMUN’22, an event organised by students of Beaconhouse College Programme, Tipu Sultan Campus, Rawalpindi. The 3-day event was attended by debaters and speakers from among the twin cities, Rawalpindi and Islamabad, who participated and competed in multiple categories. The event was attended by Ms Qayyum and in-country representatives from IRU members who engaged with students and briefed them about opportunities for higher education in Australia.
- IRU members presented a virtual information session with BCP’s counsellors, which includes members responding to frequently asked questions about the students’ study abroad journeys. This will assist the school counsellors in helping students make informed decisions about their future.
- Ms Qayyum was part of an interactive live session, hosted by Mr. Saleem Rehman, Vice-Chancellor NUR International University Lahore, under the title of “Innovative Research Universities, Australia-exploring collaboration and partnership opportunities in Pakistan.” Ms. Sabeeh talked about IRU, our success in Pakistan and how IRU hopes to collaborate with potential partners within the education sector of Pakistan in the future.
- Ms Qayyum held productive meetings with colleagues at The City School, Head Office, Beaconhouse National University (BNU), University of the Central Punjab (UCP), Nur International University (NIU) and Beaconhouse College Program (BCP), Lahore. During these meetings, she discussed possibilities of developing long-term collaboration and engagement activities with these prospective partners.
Western Sydney University visit to Pakistan
- A High School Counsellors Networking Hi-Tea was Hosted in Lahore by Western Sydney University, in Collaboration with with IRU. Mr. Gareth Lewis, Regional Director of International Student Recruitment & Admissions, Mr. Dimitri Makris, Director of Marketing and Admissions at Western Sydney University International College, Dr. Aila Khan, Academic Program Advisor and Dr. Omar Mubin, Associate Dean, Graduate Studies, interacted with student counsellors from Beaconhouse School System, The City School, The International School of Choueifat, Lahore American School, Lahore Grammar School (LGS), Lahore College of Arts And Science (LACAS), SICAS, and ROOTS International.
- Western Sydney University’s delegation visited Pakistan at the end of September 2022 and held number of productive meetings with colleagues at Pakistan’s top educational institutes including Aitchison College, FAST-NU, LUMS and UMT in Lahore, COMSATS and NUST in Islamabad organised by Ms Qayyum.
Griffith University visit to Pakistan
- Mr Mohannad Bawaz, Regional Marketing Manager for Pakistan, Middle East and Bangladesh, Griffith University, visited Bahria University, Islamabad in September 2022 and held productive meetings along with Ms. Sabeeh Qayyum, Country Director – Pakistan for Innovative Research Universities, Australia. Among the people they met were, Dr. Muhammad Awais Mehmood, Director, International Office at Bahria University and Commodore Retd. Arshad M. Khan SI(M), Director Pakistan Maritime Science and Technology Park (PMSTP).
- Mohannad Bawaz, Regional Marketing Manager for Pakistan, Middle East and Bangladesh, Griffith University, visited Salim Habib University, Karachi in October 2022 and held productive meetings with the Faculty of Pharmacy along with Ms Qayyum. They were given a tour of the university’s facilities and instructional spaces and held an interactive session with the students who were very keen to learn about the possibilities of studying at Griffith University, Australia. Among the people they met were Professor Dr. Shakeel Ahmed Khan, Vice Chancellor, Professor Dr. Kaleem Raza Khan, Registrar, Dr. Muhammad Hussain Habib, Director Education & Admissions and Director Marketing, HR & Admin, Dr. Rahela Ikram, Dean Faculty of Pharmacy, Dr. Noor Kamil, Chairperson Department of Pharmacy, and other Pharmacy Faculty members.