November 3, 2023
Australian Research Council Act 2001 – Proposed Amendments: IRU Response
The Innovative Research Universities (IRU) supports the proposed amendments to the ARC Act 2001 addressing the six relevant recommendations outlined in Trusting Australia’s Ability: Review of the Australian Research Council Act 2001 (the Review). We support the intention and tone of the Consultation Paper, but to improve clarity, understanding and assurance that the amendments are aligned with the ARC Act Review, we recommend:
- The Department of Education publish an Exposure Draft for consultation.
We also outline specific areas that could be clarified or emphasised. These include explicit reference in the Act to:
- Supporting Indigenous Knowledges;
- Supporting basic research through peer review;
- Indexation of funding.
We also suggest greater clarity on:
- The role of the ARC in providing evaluation and supporting capability;
- Programs to be approved by the ARC Board following peer review, and “key national programs” to approved by the Minister;
- The composition and role of the proposed ARC Board in providing advice.
Read the full submission here.